To provide secondary students with learning differences additional mentorship and educational opportunities at school that will help them to fulfil their learning potential, bolster their self-esteem and build their confidence.
Creative Mentors will seek:
- to raise awareness among staff who teach creative subjects about the implications of working with young people who process information differently.
- Introduce the staff to specialist teaching methods that help children with learning differences to engage and learn.
- Raise awareness about the possible advantages there are for people with learning differences involved in the arts, precisely because they have the ability to think in unpredictable and original ways.
- Provide encouragement for children with learning differences who have lost confidence in their ability, in both academic and creative subjects, because of their struggle with the school curriculum and the exam system.
- Provide role models who faced the same problems in their time at school but made their way through the system to educational and potential career success.